Friday, September 26, 2008

The Whole Horse

I found this story far too lengthy and the language the author used was quite confusing, but I do agree with most of what he had to say. As an industrial nation we do live our lives with no regard for the environment. We will be the cause of our own demise. Many in the U.S. believe that "we cannot live lives that are economically and ecologically responsible."(Berry 2) I agree this does take much more effort but it is not impossible. Though I have never seen the term before I find this idea intriguing, this is the idea of "agrarianism," this could be the Answer to our ecological problems. "Industrialism is a way of thought bases on monetary capital and technology, agrarianism is a way of thought based on land." (Berry 3) The author discusses the effects of industrialism, he reinsures that we will not have any resources left if we do not keep industrialism in check with concerns of agrarianism. I do agree that this new culture of false satisfaction if unchanged will lead to the loss of all of the natural resources we have at our expense. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree that the passage was extremely long and drawn out for the author to get his point across. Though, once sifting through the facts and thoughts that he has presented, I agree that he makes some great points. Our society has become too industrialized by big corporations that are basically taking over our economy and our government.

I personally, can relate to what the author is trying to say. I grew up in a small town on the NJ shore. Every business is owned and run by residents in town. No big corporations have taken over just yet. I loved living there my whole life because due to the absence of the big companies, the community became very close knit. It's something I took for granted when I lived there, but now that I am gone and in college, I miss it immensely.

jt said...

Wes, I too feel that if our ways are not changed we will be the cause of our own demise. I also agree with your view on the author proposal of agrarianism. Although it will me a difficult change the end results will not only be beneficial to our environment but to our nation as well. If we quit outsourcing all of our jobs our local economies would thrive. Reducing our dependence on the rest of the world will not only make the US a stronger country but will also allow us to respect the environment that provides for us.